I know it's been two weeks since I have added anything to the blog. Quite frankly I think I was too sad to do so. But let's not dwell on that, let's get to the fun stuff...
The Wednesday after I last wrote we had a friend of ours over for dinner. We had a cookout and played some games in the back yard. Johan and Tom played keep-away frisbee with our dog, Dakota. The big people know that Dakota loves his frisbee and he does just about anything to catch it in air. If he is coming at you, you need to get out of the way. Unfortunately, Johan hadn't learned that little lesson which leads us to the fat lip and black eye. Dakota plowed the poor kid right over trying to get the frisbee. Johan popped up with what at first appeared just to be a fat lip. Low and behold the next day he woke up with a black eye! He was a trooper. A little sore at first, but bounced back quickly. The chaperone, Martha, gave him a teaspoon of vinegar mixed with a little water. She said it was good for the swelling and color. It sure sounded disgusting to me!
Johan enjoyed his last few days of camp. He traveled to N Kentucky with the group to visit the Newport Aquarium. Tom and Martha went along as chaperones. He also went bowling and ice skating. The Y camp truly is a great all-around experience for the kids.
Our last weekend we went to Lake Saint Mary's where my Dad has a cabin and boat. The weather was picture perfect. We enjoyed a day of tubing with my sister and her daughter and friend then had a nice big meal and a relaxing evening.
Johan's day of departure was August 6th. The kid who we had to give at least an hour to an hour and a 1/2 in the morning to awake each morning sprung up the morning of departure at 7a.m. He was so excited for his airplane ride and yet another adventure.
Me? Well, I wasn't quite so excited for this experience. It's amazing how quickly a little boy can get under your skin and become such a part of your life. It's hard to describe. But I can tell you it made the heart ache seeing him go through security at the airport. He did become a little more solemn near the end and spent quite a few moments in hugs with both Tom and I. Many of his buddies were in full tears being drug away from their host families. It was heart wrenching.
As he walked away he wouldn't look back. As Tom said, he's a little guy always looking forward - never back - which is a great way to live life.
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment